This Page

has been moved to new address

How to Grind Wheat in a Blender

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Imperfect Homemaker: How to Grind Wheat in a Blender

Monday, March 12, 2012

How to Grind Wheat in a Blender



Pin It


As requested, here are the results of my experiment with grinding wheat in the blender.  I love cooking with whole foods, but I've never baked with freshly ground wheat before.  I don't have a wheat grinder, and I certainly didn't intend on spending the money for one if it were possible to grind it in a blender.

Step one: Get some wheat berries.  I ordered mine from Vitacost since you get a free $10 coupon when you create an account.  I didn't feel like spending good money on an experiment when I knew it might not work.

I used hard white wheat berries, but I wouldn't think it would make much difference what kind you use.



Step Two:  Get your blender ready to go.  Do not let the brand name of my blender fool you.  KitchenAid mixers are definitely 10 steps ahead of any other mixer, but their blenders?  Eh...not my favorite by any means.  All that to say - even if you have a cheap blender, it will probably work just fine.




Step 3:   Add the wheat berries and start grinding.  I only ground about a cup at a time.  The wheat berries jumped so high when I turned it on that I was afraid if I added any more the flour would start flying out the top of the blender.






Step four: I found that I needed to let it run on high for about 2 minutes. If I ground for less time it still had chunks. And if I ground for more time, it didn't seem to get any more fine, but the motor started heating up the flour.


Step five: Bake some bread or rolls using your favorite whole wheat bread recipe.  I actually made some of both.  My bread didn't turn out too pretty, but you get the idea.


My conclusion:  The blender definitely does not get the flour very fine.  The dough feels very gritty when you're working with it.  But as you can see from the pictures, it is still very useable.  (How pretty your bread turns out just depends on how good of a cook you are - which I'm obviously not the greatest!)


I'm very curious now to try out a recipe I saw for Blender Pancakes!  You grind the wheat in the blender along with the other pancake ingredients and then pour them onto the griddle!

Maybe soon you'll see a post on how that turned out! 

This post may be linked to one of these parties.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Stephanie said...

I actually use a Vita-Mix to grind my wheat. That said, it's pretty powerful but it's always worked well for me. It usually grinds up in about 40 seconds. Sometimes I'll mill, let it cool down and run it through another cycle. I've read that if your flour gets too hot, it won't rise. Not sure if that's true or not as I've not really had problems in that area thus far.

Thanks for sharing!

March 13, 2012 at 6:21 PM  
Blogger MaryEllen@TheImperfectHomemaker said...

My mom has a Vitamix, and I've watched her grind just about anything in that thing. I would love to get one someday, and I think I would go for that over a grain mill because it is so versatile. In the meantime, I'm happy to know I can do it in my cheapo blender if I really want to. Thanks for your comment!

March 14, 2012 at 7:41 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I have always wondered if you could grind wheat in a blender. Now I know. Thank you. I will have to try this sometime.

March 16, 2012 at 8:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

whoo so glad you linked up sweet friend. I love this and cant wait to try it. Blessings

March 27, 2012 at 8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home