This Page

has been moved to new address

The Easiest Way to Perfectly Cooked Rice

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Imperfect Homemaker: The Easiest Way to Perfectly Cooked Rice

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Easiest Way to Perfectly Cooked Rice



I have been married nearly 6 years.  I have cooked rice for our family many times in those 6 years, but I can only remember a handful of times that it has come out just right.  If I get it too sticky one time, I over-correct the next time and it's crunchy and underdone. 

I cannot for the life of me remember where I read this tip, but I have been doing this the last few times I've cooked rice, and it comes out just right every time! 


All you need to do is cook your rice in a larger amount of water than the measurements call for (generally a 2:1 ratio of water to rice).  Since rice produces a sticky starch when cooked, it can start sticking together very easily.  The extra water keeps the grains separated from each other so they won't stick together.  When the rice is done, simply drain the extra water.  Voila!  Perfectly cooked rice with no stickage!

So, for those of you who like detailed instructions:

1. Fill a pot with double the amount of water normally needed for the amount of rice you'll be cooking.
2. Bring the water to a boil.
3. Add the rice and reduce the temperature to medium.
4. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Drain the remaining water from the rice.

It's so profoundly simple that I wonder why I've never thought of this before.  Oh, wait.  That would be too easy.  I never do things the easy way.  Except cook rice.  Now, anyways. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home